[ale] wireless sanity/security check

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Jan 4 15:51:43 EST 2010

Pat Regan wrote:
> On 01/04/2010 02:30 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
>
>> Do you lock your doors at night, or do you think "there are people with
>> tools that can break some locks, so why bother?"
>>

> I have a friend who picks locks as a hobby.  If you saw how fast he can
> pick a lock you'd wonder how fast a professional could do it :).
>
> Personally, I wouldn't bother with your locked door (ssh?).  I'd just
> break a window (some buggy web app? :p).

I live in a wooden house.  I suspect someone with a chainsaw would come
through about anywhere they wanted to in less time that it takes for me
to unlock both door locks.  Locks keep out only the lesser determined.
It's only slightly harder to get through a brick wall.   Concrete blocks
are a joke.  We're safe only because there isn't anyone out there
seriously interested in getting to us or there are easier ways of
getting what they want.

Jim.