[ale] Android Tablets

Dylan Northrup ale at doc-x.net
Mon Aug 9 09:52:33 EDT 2010

This is good advice.  Personally, I'm waiting for the next rev of the iPad
before making any purchasing decisions.  Not having a camera on the device
is a deal breaker for me ATM.  Another thing I'd love is an option to use
someone other than AT&T as a data carrier, but I know that's a ways off and,
in the meantime, the wifi-only version will do most of what I want.

Oh, and the storage size needs to bump up to at least 64G (iTunes U videos
take up a lot of space).

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:37 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> Agreed. I have read more books in the past two months than I have read
> in the past 6 years since I got my iPad. I play a few games on it,
> browse the web, watch YouTube videos, and occasionally VNC to transfer
> files to my DVR without having to get off the couch. But would I write
> a term paper on this thing? No way.
>
> Back to the original question, I think you should go to a store and
> try to use an E-Ink device first. Then go use an iPad. I think you'll
> decide to wait and see what sort of iPad competitors come out later
> this year, or early next year, instead of getting the E-Ink device.
> That, or just go ahead and get an iPad. The E-Ink stuff is so slow as
> to be frustrating and unusable.
>
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Jerald Sheets <questy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's a common misconception that these things are content creation
> devices.
> >
> > I think from an overall design standpoint, their best application is one
> of a content consumption device.
> >
> > Now, make no mistake, on the iPad I have iWork and do indeed create
> presentations, text files, remotely control windoze, ssh into my systems and
> do work (and even code perl!).  So, I'm not asserting that statement is
> absolute, but I think to consider the device a place to run offiice of any
> kind (with the hope of being productive and creating content) is misapplied
> and you'll never be happy with any touch-oriented device.
> >
> > My biggest uses for my iPad have turned out to be note-taking in
> meetings, to-do lists, email, calendaring and meetings, SSH, and reading.
>  The real killer app is that I have most of the technical books I own in PDF
> format as well as printed and have imported all those PDF books into iBooks.
>  My whole library with me everywhere I go in a single device.  That's just
> freaking delicious.
> >
> > I guess what I'm trying to say in short is, this is not a netbook and
> isn't intended to be one.  It isn't your laptop and isn't intended to be
> one.  It's a niche right between your power machine and your mobile, and
> some people just don't have the need for it.
> >

> > -- Jerald Sheets
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

Dylan Northrup
"Adversity is just change we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."
  - Aimee Mullins