[ale] PGP/GPG Keysigning party! ALE Central November 19th.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 12:07:24 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:37, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, my question is not "What is pgp good for?".  My question is "What
>> is a key signing party good for?"
>
> It's a gathering to exchange two pieces of verifiable ID in order to
> validate that someone is who he/she says they are.   Once the ID is
> confirmed, their previously established key (which they bring with
> them to the event in printed form) can be trusted by anyone at the
> event.

So now by having in advance the key signatures and now we can attach
that key to a physical person, if we trust that person to only sign
keys they trust and we trust that person then we can trust that the
keys they sign are really associated with the person they claim to be.

We are using technology to replace the face to face meeting with
introductions by people we know.

> -Jim P.

James P. Kinney III