[ale] And now for my latest problem: stuck mount points with no mount

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Wed Oct 28 10:47:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 10:35 -0400, Steve Brown wrote:
> This same situation happened to me a few weeks ago. I am using LVM
> with XFS, however.  I ended up taking the entry out of fstab and
> restarting, just to ensure that the fs was not mounted. Then I ran
> either xfs_check or xfs_repair (or both?). I came to the conclusion
> that the harddrives in the volume group are dying, although they are
> still working and I only had a few corrupted files. HTH,

I was thinking HDD failure...

but badblocks says everything's A-OK.

For the moment, things seem to be running... but the next time they
stop, I'll do a forced fsck on all the filesystems and see if there's
anything disturbing.

(That said, I've learned -- the hard way -- to not trust XFS.  It's
eaten my data on three separate occasions where ext3 was perfectly happy
to operate...)

	--- Mike

--
Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
our mark.” —Michelangelo