[ale] And now for my latest problem: stuck mount points with no mount

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 10:35:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at zest.trausch.us>wrote:

> This is another weird one.
>
> I have several filesystems on my server, all of which are in LVM.
> Sometimes, I will have a filesystem that will randomly become read-only.
> The normal solution, of course, would be to unmount and remount
> read-write.  However, I am apparently unable to do that.
>
> That is, I can unmount the filesystem, and the filesystem disappears
> from the mount point it was assigned to, but the mount point becomes
> "stuck".  When the filesystem is unmounted, I can no longer remount it:
> <snip>
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this before?

This same situation happened to me a few weeks ago. I am using LVM with XFS,
however.  I ended up taking the entry out of fstab and restarting, just to
ensure that the fs was not mounted. Then I ran either xfs_check or
xfs_repair (or both?). I came to the conclusion that the harddrives in the
volume group are dying, although they are still working and I only had a few
corrupted files. HTH,
-Steve Brown