[ale] what am I missing

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Mon Oct 26 16:32:16 EDT 2009

Hello Geoffrey,

> Recent install of Mandriva on a laptop.  Trying to ssh to it from my
> primary box.  ssh eventually times out.  Firewall is not running,
> selinux is not active.  sshd daemon is running.  It's definitely on the
> network as I just updated it over the net.

> What am I missing???

Have you eliminated your router/switch as the cause?  I've been playing with DD-WRT as OpenWRT on my routers, and have had some blocking issues due to my inexperience with them.

(Of course, better to be blocked than open, IMHO, at least at the WAN/LAN interchange.)

Have you tried connecting them directly via network cable or crossover cable?

Cheers,
R~