[ale] Failed drives on SuperMicro server backplane

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 17:32:06 EDT 2009

Now that we know what _your_ single point of failure is....  :-)

Recall the APS project an Inman middle when the ac went out in the
main comp room. 140+. that day. The new stuff lasted for a while but
the old stuff down real fast. Still don't know about perm damage
there.

Stash a $20 box fan and extension cord so you can prop open the door
with the fan plugged in elsewhere and have the fan blowing in cooler
air.

If the set-up is a 3 9's reliability situation (8.76 hours down per
year), you will need a secondary cooling unit pronto. At 4 9's (52
minutes/y) you must have back-up power generation and off-site backup
systems with fast route change ability. At 5 9's (5.25 m/y!) you must
have live, separate, off mains power and secondary plus redundant
cooling and a live off-site synchronized full environment.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:
> Like I wouldn't realize that.  :)
>
> I *do* have spares - mobo, RAM, SATA and SAS cards, Ethernet cards,
> power supplies, disk drives...and I even have a spare chassis up and
> running minus the main system's two big drive arrays.  But they're in a
> small server room with over 10kVA of systems in it and there is only one
> HVAC system.  If it dies, the temp goes up to something on the order of
> 110F.
>
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 14:16, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Not only am I powerless to do anything about that, I'm having to accept
>>> that it may happen again at any time and prepare accordingly.
>>>

>> Excessive heat can ruin hardware.  Backup regularly and have secondary
>> hardware available.   101 stuff. ;-)
>>
>> -Jim P.

James P. Kinney III