[ale] Tunneling from behind firewall to my firewalled desktop

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:03:18 EDT 2009

Ick. more reading of that was a brain melt about to happen. To much
custom this a patched taht.

Look at http://www.cleondra.ch/ssh2/ for a java ssh client that can be
used from a browser. Put it on your home system and have it listen to
the port 80,443, 808, etc and it provides an ssh interface. It's not
been updated in a while...

Lastly: putty and a pair of tunnels

On your work end tunnel local port 22 to home machine port 443
(redirected through linksys). On home machine have sshd listen to port
443. On work box connect ssh to locahost port 22, now connection is
bounced over 443 port to homebox.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> This will do exactly what (I think) you want: tunnel out from work to home.
>
> http://dag.wieers.com/howto/ssh-http-tunneling/
>
> The only additional point will be to allow the web server behind the
> linksys to be "visible" to the Internet. Linksys has a page in their
> router config that does this by pointing a port to an internal machine
> IP address.
>
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM, tom <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting annoyed with my (current) inablility to get this working.
>> I am spending a fair amount of time working at a site with wireless
>> access which appears to allow dns and http type access only. I want
>> get to my desktop at home, which sits behind a Linksys hardware
>> router. I've tried ssh directly, and that appears to be blocked
>> at their perimeter. So I've got a twofold question:
>>
>> First - how do I locate which ports their firewall has open on the
>> very qt? Since I can web surf, and access secure web pages, without
>> formally setting up a proxy, I expect I should be able to get out
>> on those ports, but I like the idea of knowing what is going on
>> anyway.
>>
>> Second - On the home end, what do I need to do to this silly
>> Linksys BEFRv4 blue screen errr... box to move a connection from
>> either port 80 or port 441 to where I have ssh enabled on my desktop?
>> I'm not having much good fortune on this.
>>

>> Thanks in advance

> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

James P. Kinney III