[ale] Tunneling from behind firewall to my firewalled desktop

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:54:47 EDT 2009

This will do exactly what (I think) you want: tunnel out from work to home.

http://dag.wieers.com/howto/ssh-http-tunneling/

The only additional point will be to allow the web server behind the
linksys to be "visible" to the Internet. Linksys has a page in their
router config that does this by pointing a port to an internal machine
IP address.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM, tom <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:

> I'm getting annoyed with my (current) inablility to get this working.
> I am spending a fair amount of time working at a site with wireless
> access which appears to allow dns and http type access only. I want
> get to my desktop at home, which sits behind a Linksys hardware
> router. I've tried ssh directly, and that appears to be blocked
> at their perimeter. So I've got a twofold question:
>
> First - how do I locate which ports their firewall has open on the
> very qt? Since I can web surf, and access secure web pages, without
> formally setting up a proxy, I expect I should be able to get out
> on those ports, but I like the idea of knowing what is going on
> anyway.
>
> Second - On the home end, what do I need to do to this silly
> Linksys BEFRv4 blue screen errr... box to move a connection from
> either port 80 or port 441 to where I have ssh enabled on my desktop?
> I'm not having much good fortune on this.
>

> Thanks in advance

James P. Kinney III