[ale] LAMP Books

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Oct 1 19:39:37 EDT 2009

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:32 PM,  <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:58:42 -0400, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>
>> wrote:
>>> 1. I think the http://php.net/manual/en site is the greatest thing
>>> I've ever seen.
>> Then you've never read http://docs.python.org/ :-)
>
> I love python, but find that site to be user hostile. I go there and
> have no idea how to get the info I need while I'm coding.

Not trying to argue with you, but for anyone who may be curious:

For 99% of my needs (as an experienced Python user), the "Library
Reference" is the right place:

   http://docs.python.org/library/index.html

Occasionally, I need the "Language Reference" to remind me of some
obscure piece of syntax:

   http://docs.python.org/reference/index.html

The primary thing I think docs.python.org would benefit from, is a
contents outline in the left or right sidebar.  php.net has that
already, and it is very convenient.

Oh, wait -- python.org has it, too (I think that's a fairly recent
change).  Table of contents on the left, and the path to the current
documentation node at the top of each page.

Also, in Python, if you know the name of a module or class, you
can see the built-in documentation by doing this:

import modulename
print modulename.__doc__
print modulename.classname.__doc__

-- JK