[ale] New laptop

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Oct 1 01:29:42 EDT 2009

On 09/30/2009 07:27 PM, George Allen wrote:
> My home laptop broke, physically, after 5 years of abuse (IBM's stand
> up well), so I am looking to buy a new one. Considerations are:
>
> -Thinkpad T or X series. - I've had a T41 (still running headless w/
> dead LCD after 7years) and X32 (latest, cpu fan died) I like IBM, like
> the keyboard, prefer the trackpoint to a touchpad, and am satisfied
> with the durability. Also- IBM hardware generally supports linux.

If you want linux, why not buy a laptop that comes with it?

You can upgrade an Inspiron 15N with Ubuntu 9.04 to a Core 2 Duo
processor, 4GB of RAM, and 6-cell battery for less than $600.

Recently I've seen plenty of three year old Dell laptops that are in
good shape. My own is 2 years old now and doing fine. Granted, it
doesn't have a trackpoint.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

--
All the best,