[ale] Awful story...

Ken Price lists at nettwrek.com
Mon Nov 16 15:45:42 EST 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:31:52 -0500, Jerald Sheets <questy at gmail.com>
wrote:
> At what point does the impetus leave the employee and go to the
employer?
> If you continue just bow and do whatever, you assent to and encourage
> current behavior.

Obviously it's not an easy answer.  At least certainly not one I have the
answer to.

> I have a recruiter friend that is a good guy...  he does his homework,
and
> is the best I've worked with.  If he gets a similar statement from three
or
> so candidates and he doesn't know what they're talking about, he'll give
me
> a shout and ask for a detail so he best knows how to place this person.
> Same for his companies he recruits for.

Holy crap.  That's a rarity.  Major kudos to him!

> He also makes a point to people looking to go Linux that he needs to
know
> up front what the work environs/requirements are like.  There are
certain
> environs I won't work in (business clothes, for instance). If this is
the
> case, he won't call me and waste my time and he won't recommend me and
> waste his employers' time.

Again, holy crap.  Didn't realize this kind of recruiter existed.

> Yes, I have a Windows VM to help out the local school and friends that
> have Windows boxes that ask my help, and I use it when necessary for a
> computer job I decide to take.  To imply the ego of the employed is the
> only thing that needs checking, though, is a little short-sighted.

Not exactly my point, but I understand yours.

> This may not have been the issue in the story I originally posted, but
> dang...  At what point does business just need to progress?  Or at least
> not flip the bits that make life even harder for "other-technologied"
> people on their payroll?

Argh.  Too late in the day for a question like that.  :-)

-Ken