[ale] Something is Fishy About My Network

Kenneth Ratliff lists at noctum.net
Wed Mar 4 21:37:11 EST 2009

When things go screwy, DNS is usually a culprit.

First things first -

Can you ping the IP address that was assigned to you?

Can you ping 192.168.1.1?

If you type

dig google.com

at the command line, what happens?

Can you ping google.com?

Oh, and turn off Avahi if it's installed and see if that mystically
fixes your problems. It likes to hijack DNS