[ale] Something is Fishy About My Network

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 21:52:55 EST 2009

It looks like you don't have any DNS service running at all. Ping IP
address works but ping by name fails.

Multiple ways to fix this:

Set up fixed IP address and add /etc/hosts records (easy)
Set up DNS services using your router (not so easy)

Some routers can use a MAC address and return fixed IP with dhcp
protocols. You'll have to poke around your router to make that work.
Ditto on the router DNS.

To set up a static IP in F10, edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to look like:
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:10:ee:6e:93:7e
ONBOOT=yes
SEARCH="myhome.net"
IPADDR=172.31.100.254
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

Then set your /etc/hosts file using the pattern
<IP address>  hostname.myhome.net   hostname   alias

and add other host names for your other machines on the LAN.

2009/3/4 Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Fedora 10 x86_64 and I really think something is odd about my
> ability to network and I think it's all pointing to DNS.  First, I've been
> running Linux (full time) for almost a year, but I am still a newb.  There
> are still some Windows concepts that I haven't been able to shake yet, so
> please be very simple yet thorough with your replies (I'd appreciate it).
>
> So here's the meat of my cry-for-help caserole.
>
> I'm having a problem pinging my hostname.  I'll ping it and 127.0.0.1 is the
> resulting IP.
> I see that my router has given my computer an IP address, but it doesn't
> have the hostname in its table.
> I can't ping, by host name, my computer from any other computer on the home
> network.
>
> So because of those issues, I can't properly network my linux box with other
> computers in my home network.  I just found out (from a friend) that I had
> an internal firewall turned on.  I didn't even realize that Fedora shipped
> with a firewall.  From my Windows-days, I've learned that software firewall
> causes too many headaches.  So; I disabled the firewall I discovered in
> Fedora.  Thanks for any feedback.
>
> system-config-network 1.5.95
> I'm not all that handy with command-line network configuring yet so I'm
> using the GUI program system-config-network.  In my DNS tab here are my
> settings:
>
> hostname: unicron.cybertron
> primary dns: 192.168.1.1 (router)
> secondary dns:
> tertiary dns:
> dns search path: unicron
>
> --
> Marc F.
>
> www.fergytech.com
> Registered Linux User: #410978
>
> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"

James P. Kinney III