[ale] Something is Fishy About My Network

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 21:05:01 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm running Fedora 10 x86_64 and I really think something is odd about my
ability to network and I think it's all pointing to DNS.  First, I've been
running Linux (full time) for almost a year, but I am still a newb.  There
are still some Windows concepts that I haven't been able to shake yet, so
please be very simple yet thorough with your replies (I'd appreciate it).

So here's the meat of my cry-for-help caserole.

   - I'm having a problem pinging my hostname.  I'll ping it and 127.0.0.1
   is the resulting IP.
   - I see that my router has given my computer an IP address, but it
   doesn't have the hostname in its table.
   - I can't ping, by host name, my computer from any other computer on the
   home network.

So because of those issues, I can't properly network my linux box with other
computers in my home network.  I just found out (from a friend) that I had
an internal firewall turned on.  I didn't even realize that Fedora shipped
with a firewall.  From my Windows-days, I've learned that software firewall
causes too many headaches.  So; I disabled the firewall I discovered in
Fedora.  Thanks for any feedback.

*system-config-network 1.5.95*
I'm not all that handy with command-line network configuring yet so I'm
using the GUI program system-config-network.  In my DNS tab here are my
settings:

   - hostname: unicron.cybertron
   - primary dns: 192.168.1.1 (router)
   - secondary dns:
   - tertiary dns:
   - dns search path: unicron

--
Marc F.

www.fergytech.com
Registered Linux User: #410978

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"