[ale] Macbook Pro 15" or Thinkpad W500?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Jan 1 15:21:00 EST 2009

I picked up a MacBook Pro about a year and a half ago.  I have been
working primarily with Linux since about 2000.

The MacBook has been, to me, far less obtrusive and uncooperative than
any Windows laptop would have been.  And, if I want to do bash shell
stuff or fire up an X server, all of that is there.  What I can't speak
to in your list is Juniper VPN.

I carry my MacBook around fairly routinely and use it daily.  No
hardware problems.  Little things like the magnetically-attached power
supply cord and the backlit keyboard have shown to be more than just
gimmicks.

IPod and iPhone support are, well, as good as can be had.

I would not have bought a Windows laptop in any case (the one I carry
around for work due to the VPN is all the reminder I need), but I didn't
want to go through all the hardware-compatibility wickets again like I
did with my AMD64 eMachines laptop from '04.  The MacBook Pro was an
expensive yet very effective path forward.

Jeff