[ale] Networking Linuxboxes

Marc Ferguson mferguson at digitalalias.net
Tue May 27 12:32:58 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:16 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't understand what you are wanting to do. Are you wanting to
> share files? Or do you want to share the internet connection through
> one of the macines? Or something else?
>
> If it is sharing files, the simplest solution is SAMBA or NFS. I
> usually use SAMBA since it essentially does auto-discovery and I don't
> have to setup specific connections.
>
> 2008/5/27 Marc Ferguson <mferguson at digitalalias.net>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know this might be a silly question, but how do you network two or more
> > linuxboxes.  I've done google searches on this and for the most part they
> > write about SAMBA and how to network linux within a windows network.
> >
> > My wife, finally installed linux on her machine this weekend - happy day!
> > She's running openSUSE 10.3 and I'm running Fedora 8.  I thought they
> would
> > automatically see each other, but it looks like there is more to it than
> > originally thought.  Right now it's a simple peer-to-peer network, I
> don't
> > know if we'll should do a client-server structure, but I'll listen to any
> > suggestions.  Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Marc F.
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

Hi All,

Thanks again for the replies.  What I want to do is mostly file sharing.  We
are on a switch and sharing the Cable connection through a Linksys router.
We can ping each other's IP addresses, but not our hostnames.

I'm a little lost with hostnames.  I changed mine from
"localhost.localdomain" to "marc.linux" and I think my wifes is
"katina-linuxBox" (yes a hyphen).  We did this using the GUI networking
option - I'm afraid of the /etc path.  I can see in the router's DHCP list
katina-linuxBox, but mine is blank. We both know each other's IP, but I
don't know if my hostname applied properly.

I have SAMBA running because I was trying to get it to work with a Windows
machine I have on the network (which was unsuccessful), but she doesn't have
SAMBA running.  I thought SAMBA was specifically for sharing linux/windows
resources with each other.  I didn't know it could also be used to share
linux resources with itself.  Noob thinking, but linux networking is new to
me since I now have to think of components and not just peer-to-peer in a
Windows environment.

--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4