[ale] Networking Linuxboxes

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue May 27 12:44:31 EDT 2008

On the local net, the hostnames don't matter that much. Once SAMBA is
configured correctly, and one of the machines is acting as a WINS, you
could use the hostnames to connect to the respective boxes. But it's
just easier to use the names specified in your SAMBA configuration.

SAMBA is in implementation of the SMB protocol from Windows [1]. It
isn't limited solely to working with Windows machines. There's no such
thing as "linux networking," or "Windows networking" for that matter.
If the two machines are on the same network, and can see each other,
they are networked. Simple as that.

Enable SAMBA on your wife's machine. Make sure it is configured to
share the directories you wish to share. Make sure you have the proper
permissions in place (the toughest part, really). Then you should be
in business.

[1] -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

--
James Sumners