[ale] making a usb thumb drive bootable from a dvd install disk

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Fri Mar 28 16:07:36 EDT 2008

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> If the DVD drive is itself USB based that may be why you can't boot from
> it.
>
> I saw this on RHEL5 DVD.  Essentially what happens is the system's BIOS
> does the original mount of DVD but after the boot the RHEL5 Ramdisk is
> what is trying to mount/read from the DVD and it doesn't have the
> drivers.

No bios, it's a Macbook pro.

The box obviously can read the disk, as it boots from it.

> At AUUG early in the month Mike Warfield (I think) said he could tell
> what drivers to use for USB mount but I hadn't had a chance to follow up
> since then.  Maybe he will share since he's already reading this thread?

Mike did post some links to creating a bootable usb device, but it did
not work for me.  I'm thinking I might look for an external dvd reader.

Weird thing is, I installed Fedora 8 fine.  That is why I think it might
be something with the particular kernel on the rh.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin