[ale] making a usb thumb drive bootable from a dvd install disk

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Mar 28 15:03:01 EDT 2008

If the DVD drive is itself USB based that may be why you can't boot from
it.

I saw this on RHEL5 DVD.  Essentially what happens is the system's BIOS
does the original mount of DVD but after the boot the RHEL5 Ramdisk is
what is trying to mount/read from the DVD and it doesn't have the
drivers.

At AUUG early in the month Mike Warfield (I think) said he could tell
what drivers to use for USB mount but I hadn't had a chance to follow up
since then.  Maybe he will share since he's already reading this thread?