[ale] making a usb thumb drive bootable from a dvd install disk

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Mar 28 16:43:47 EDT 2008

Not sure what you mean by "no BIOS" but I'm not familiar with Mac.
Maybe they call it "firmware" or something else but I'm talking about
what the hardware uses to initialize itself and its devices BEFORE the
OS.

Also I think the links Mike posted earlier were specifically for your
USB thumb drive.   My post was asking if your original problem (DVD
won't boot) was possibly because the DVD itself was also USB.  It was
the USB DVD question I was asking about as that is what had been
discussed at AUUG.

But my main point was that "booting from the DVD" is done by whatever
initializes the hardware be that bios, firmware or black magic.
However, AFTER that boot has been done what is occurring is Linux is
creating an install ramdisk to do everything else from.   It is this
ramdisk that is having the issue.   In my case it was specifically
because the ramdisk doesn't have the USB drivers that would allow it to
recognize the DVD.

I had posted that question last month and noted I had seen the same
behavior on a system that booted from a Fedora Core 4 CD but its ramdisk
didn't see the CD - the fix for that was to tell it not to use dma for
ide but the basic problem was what I described above.  i.e The hardware
boots the disk but the Linux ramdisk doesn't have what it needs to
recognize it.

It does NOT matter whether the initial boot works - the issue is what
happens when the Linux ramdisk takes over.  You are likely missing
drivers or configuration options as noted in my DVD and CD issues.