[ale] making a usb thumb drive bootable from a dvd install disk

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Fri Mar 28 14:45:41 EDT 2008

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:

>>  Trying to install Red Hat EL 5 and the dvd drive gives errors when
>>  trying to mount the dvd.  It boots find, but then can't mount.
>>
>>  Trying to come up with an alternative.
>
> Sounds flaky.  I use SUSE, so I have not tried to mount RH DVDs, but
> are you sure you don't have a corrupt dvd.

I've burned it 3 times, two different machines.

> Have you tried mounting the ISO in loopback mode?

Yeah, it mounts fine.  Further, I've used this ISO to install on another
machine already.  Different disk, but same machine.

I've been able to install Fedora 8 on this machine via dvd, so I suspect
it's probably something to do with the kernel on the Red Hat disk.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin