[ale] pkg-config --define-variable error

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 05:18:33 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:57 AM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:
>
>> And before I get all jumped on by the clueful masses,
>> this might work better:
>>
>>  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
>>   pkg-config --libs taglib-sharp
>>
>> (There may be existing stuff in PKG_CONFIG_PATH that's
>> important.)
>>
>> -- JK
>>
>> JK wrote:
>> > OK.  You can try this (it worked for me):
>> >
>> > export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
>> > pkg-config --libs taglib-sharp
>> >
>> > If that works, then ./configure should work (in the same
>> > shell; ./configure needs PKG_CONFIG_PATH to be set).
>> >
>> > Basically, PKG_CONFIG_PATH needs to be set to the directory
>> > containing taglib-sharp.pc.
>> >
>> > -- JK

>> --define-variable=taglib-sharp=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/taglib-sharp.pc
>> man

>> supposed
>> have
>> now.

>> TAGLIB_SHARP_CFLAGS

>> /usr/local/lib

>> --
>> I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
>>  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov
>>

> Thanks for the help.  That command did help, I only wish I knew what it
> means.  I think I'm in a bit of a bind though.  I think I'm in the situation
> I've heard so much about, which is called "RPM Hell" or "Dependency Hell".
>
> I did ./configure again and now it's asking for gtk-sharp2 and
> glade-sharp2.  I'm running Fedora 8 btw.  After I get through one hurdle
> there goes another!?  Is there any way of finding out how repos work?  I'm
> quite clueless as to how to know when my repo (Fedora) will add newer
> packages?  Thanks.  This building from source is becoming a serious pain in
> the neck.
>

> --
> Marc F.
>
> "..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
> -Rev1:4

I did some poking around and found banshee-1.0.0-1.fc9 from
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1368.  I followed
the page and downloaded banshee-1.0.0-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm, because I'm running
a x86_64 system.  I ran into the same problem.  It's stating that
taglib-sharp is missing.

I even # make uninstall, then moved the src file to /usr/src and installed
it from there.  I am totally worn out by this - what am I doing wrong?
Thanks.