[ale] pkg-config --define-variable error

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Jun 19 08:12:22 EDT 2008

> I did some poking around and found banshee-1.0.0-1.fc9 from
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1368.  I
> followed the page and downloaded banshee-1.0.0-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm,
> because I'm running a x86_64 system.  I ran into the same problem.
> It's stating that taglib-sharp is missing.
>
> I even # make uninstall, then moved the src file to /usr/src and
> installed it from there.  I am totally worn out by this - what am I
> doing wrong?  Thanks.
> --
I think you're mixing source and rpm files.  When you install an rpm, it
looks for dependencies in other rpms that have been loaded.  Even though
you installed taglib-sharp from source, the "rpm system" doesn't know
about it.  I don't have a Fedora box running right now, so I can't tell
you how to fix it for sure.  If you have yum installed, try:

yum search banshee

To see if there is an rpm in your repository list.  If not, then you
might try:

yum localinstall banshee-1.0.0-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm

Hopefully it will find the taglib-sharp in the repositories.  Yum has
alleviated dependency hell to a great degree.

Another alternative is use checkinstall to generate a taglib-sharp rpm.
If you go this route, be careful, you will need to make sure the rpm has
only what you want in it.

Jim.