[ale] pkg-config --define-variable error

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 04:57:27 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Marc Ferguson wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 7:15 PM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net
> >> <mailto:jknapka at kneuro.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     Marc Ferguson wrote:
> >>
> >>      >

> --define-variable=taglib-sharp=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/taglib-sharp.pc
> >>      >      > Must specify package names on the command line
> >>      >
> >>      >     Just a guess, but it doesn't look like there are any package
> >>     names
> >>      >     on that command line?
> >>      >
> >>      > I'm a linux noob.  What do you mean by that?  I looked at the man
> >>     pages
> >>      > for pkg-config and I thought I ran the command correctly, but It
> >>     seems
> >>      > I'm not.
> >>
> >>     I'm just saying that the error seems to indicate that you're
> supposed
> >>     to name a package on the command line, and that doesn't seem to have
> >>     been done.  I've never used pkg-config myself. Well, until just now.
> >>
> >>      $ pkg-config --libs libc
> >>      Package libc was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> >>
> >>     Not very helpful.  Apparently some meta-data has to be generated
> >>     before pkg-config can do its thing, and that hasn't been done on
> >>     my system.
> >>
> >>     What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
> >>
> >>     -- JK
> >>
> >>     --
> >>     I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
> >>      it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov
> >>

> >> I'm trying to install Banshee 1.0 via source and during ./configure it
> >> tells me that taglib-sharp is not there.  So; I download and installed
> >> it via source - no problem.  I ran ./configure for banshee again and it
> >> says the same thing.
> >>
> >> ----
> >> checking for NUNIT... no
> >> configure: WARNING: Could not find nunit: tests will not be available.
> >> checking for TAGLIB_SHARP... configure: error: Package requirements
> >> (taglib-sharp >= 2.0.0) were not met:
> >>
> >> No package 'taglib-sharp' found
> >>
> >> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> >> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
> >>
> >> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables TAGLIB_SHARP_CFLAGS
> >> and TAGLIB_SHARP_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> >> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
> >> -----
> >>
> >> So; it looks like I need to do something with PKG_CONFIG_PATH or
> >> pkg-config in order for the system to recognize that taglib-sharp is
> >> installed.  Currently it looks like it installed it in my /usr/local/lib
> >> and the system is setup to look in /usr/lib.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Marc F.
> >>
> >> "..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to
> >> come.." -Rev1:4

> I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
>  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov

Thanks for the help.  That command did help, I only wish I knew what it
means.  I think I'm in a bit of a bind though.  I think I'm in the situation
I've heard so much about, which is called "RPM Hell" or "Dependency Hell".

I did ./configure again and now it's asking for gtk-sharp2 and
glade-sharp2.  I'm running Fedora 8 btw.  After I get through one hurdle
there goes another!?  Is there any way of finding out how repos work?  I'm
quite clueless as to how to know when my repo (Fedora) will add newer
packages?  Thanks.  This building from source is becoming a serious pain in
the neck.