[ale] open source solutions for Win 98 on an old laptop

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 09:21:09 EDT 2008

Slackware has more install options than anything...

And finally, there is a very small image containing the Smart Boot Manager:

sbootmgr.dsk  This nifty little tool allows selecting various devices to boot
              from a menu, and even allows booting a CD-ROM in machines where
              the BIOS doesn't support it (or it's supposed to support it, but
              it just doesn't work).  If you have trouble booting the
              Slackware CD-ROM, you might try writing this image to a floppy,
              booting it, and then selecting your CD-ROM drive as the boot
              device.

If Slackware won't run it, check to see if the power cord is unplugged...

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>
wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > That will be a tough one as the NIC drivers must be loaded through the
> > pcmcia dirvers. I don't know of any tiny image floppies that support
> pcmcia
> > off the top of my head. But, hey! It's all open source so it can be
> > assembled! Basically a kernel with the correct modules compiled in (a tad
> > smaller than loadable modules) get substituted for a kernel image on a
> boot
> > floppy. The trick is squeezing it all down to be the same size of smaller
> > than the original.
>
> Check out the Slackware pcmcia.dsk supplemental disk:
>
> "This supplemental disk provides support for laptop devices. It allows
> installing through a network or CD-ROM drive card. To use this disk to
> scan for PCMCIA devices (this is only done if you need to use them
> DURING the installation), you enter 'pcmcia' after loading the 'install'
> disks and logging in."
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

James P. Kinney III