[ale] open source solutions for Win 98 on an old laptop

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Fri Jul 18 09:06:41 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> That will be a tough one as the NIC drivers must be loaded through the
> pcmcia dirvers. I don't know of any tiny image floppies that support pcmcia
> off the top of my head. But, hey! It's all open source so it can be
> assembled! Basically a kernel with the correct modules compiled in (a tad
> smaller than loadable modules) get substituted for a kernel image on a boot
> floppy. The trick is squeezing it all down to be the same size of smaller
> than the original.

Check out the Slackware pcmcia.dsk supplemental disk:

"This supplemental disk provides support for laptop devices. It allows
installing through a network or CD-ROM drive card. To use this disk to
scan for PCMCIA devices (this is only done if you need to use them
DURING the installation), you enter 'pcmcia' after loading the 'install'
disks and logging in."

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin