[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Jul 15 22:59:24 EDT 2008

James Sumners wrote:
> I'm not understanding this bit of advice. I've been under the
> impression that you want to dress nicely for a job interview. And it
> seems to me that the accepted "nicely" for guys is a suit and tie. So
> how would wearing a tie indicate that I don't know what I'm doing? I
> know that one of the questions I will ask at every interview I go to
> will be about the accepted day-to-day dress. I much prefer jeans and a
> t-shirt, but I don't believe that is appropriate for an interview.

You might find the discussion on this Ask MeFi question [0] relevant.

"I'm interviewing for a developer position at a software company in
Silicon Valley in a couple of weeks. The dress code there is casual.
What should I wear to the interview?

I don't have much of an instinct for fashion; left to my own devices, I
think I would wear khakis, a button down shirt, and a tie. This feels
really boring. Plus, is a tie necessary? Are there more interesting or
stylish options? Can you recommend any specific retailers?

I'm meeting with several people over 6-7 hours, so I'd like to be
comfortable.

I'm male, mid-twenties, medium build."

[0] http://ask.metafilter.com/41285/What-to-wear-to-a-job-interview

-Brian