[ale] Comcast preventing Linux on wireless router modems?

William Witt william at witt-family.net
Mon Feb 25 10:35:10 EST 2008

Daniel Howard wrote:
> I got a call last nite from a teacher I'd given an Ubuntu PC for her
> kids to use at home.  The Comcast guy was there installing a cablemodem
> router with wireless and they were having trouble getting the Ubuntu PC
> on the network, something about the router reporting "This OS not
> supported."  I've hung Linux PCs off of cablemodems for years now w/o
> problems, is there something new Comcast Atlanta could be doing to
> prevent Linux OS PCs?
>
> Best,
> Daniel

We got Comcast recently after our local company was bought out.  Once
the modem is set up but before the modems MAC has been added to
Comcast's system,  any attempt to browse the web is met with a Comcast
registration page.  I guess this is so the tech can register the MAC
without having to call back.   This page does user agent detection and I
was able to spoof around it enough to find a .exe on the other side for
registration.  Calling customer service took care of it fairly quickly
once I got to talk to a geek.  It was complicted by the fact that they
switched me in the middle of the night without prior knowledge.  I just
woke up one morning and no internet and Comcast on the TV.

Will