[ale] vmware Server USB

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 20 21:22:10 EDT 2007

I got VMWare workstation version 6.0 to work with iTunes.  The iPod really needs USB 2.0 to work right and even then there are pretty bad sensing delays between iTunes and hardware.  At least it works!  I probably have some problems with the WinXP install since I had installed Active Sync and then uninstalled it.  I'll try a fresh image sometime.  Also, VMware server, workstation, and player are having issues with the acpi implementation in the linux kernel.  To guarantee your clock and cpu timings are propagated to vmware properly I had to add to /etc/vmware/config these lines:

host.cpukHz = 1860000
host.noTSC = TRUE
ptsc.noTSC = TRUE

and in Vmware Tools in the guest, I had to set time synchronization between guest and host.  Otherwise the guest will start running slowly, like 200MHz or worse!
Dow