[ale] DVD ripping

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Oct 31 16:33:23 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 15:17 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:

> Okay just an update:
>
> Did 4 DVDs the first one I was able to use the dd command as my normal
> user. The second DVD would crap out in the dd command almost right away
> with an I/O error and showing ###blocks+1 in, ###blocks+1 out,
> displaying a low number like 360. I then su - to root and was able to do
> the 2nd one. The 3rd and 4th would fail both as my user or as root with
> the same I/O error. I was able to get the image using k3b, I don't
> understand why as it should be just executing the dd command essentially
> the same way as you had suggested. I am now able to skip step 2 of
> mounting the image file as long as I use VLC. With VLC I just go through
> the quick open file option and select the image that I want to play.
> With mplayer, gxine, or totem, I do have to mount the image that I want,
> but I found that it's "mount -o loop /path/of/image.iso /media", at
> least on Fedora 7. Now to play around with finding a way that I can just
> pull up a playlist of image files instead of clicking through a tree
> list to get to the file I want.

Check the temp of the disk when it is removed. Some low quality DVD
drives are quite lousy at heat removal and the lasers have sidebands all
in the IR region. This excessive thermal buildup causes numerous
problems from optical distortion to pickup errors to electronics
failures. All of these errors vanish when the drive is allowed to cool
down between runs. Back to back dd sessions are thermally intensive even
on good drives. I have pulled disks out and they have been nearly
uncomfortable to touch.