[ale] DVD ripping

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Wed Oct 31 15:16:36 EDT 2007

Tim Meanor wrote:
> You can do this:
> 1.  dd if=/dev/<dvd drive> of=dvdimage.iso bs=2048
>
> 2.  mount -o loopback /path/to/dvdimage.iso /media
>
> 3.  Use VLC to watch the video by pointing it to  /media/VIDEO_TS
>
> You could always copy /media/VIDEO_TS to your harddrive first if you
> prefer, though I kinda like keeping the .isos around instead.
>

> -Tim

Okay just an update:

Did 4 DVDs the first one I was able to use the dd command as my normal
user. The second DVD would crap out in the dd command almost right away
with an I/O error and showing ###blocks+1 in, ###blocks+1 out,
displaying a low number like 360. I then su - to root and was able to do
the 2nd one. The 3rd and 4th would fail both as my user or as root with
the same I/O error. I was able to get the image using k3b, I don't
understand why as it should be just executing the dd command essentially
the same way as you had suggested. I am now able to skip step 2 of
mounting the image file as long as I use VLC. With VLC I just go through
the quick open file option and select the image that I want to play.
With mplayer, gxine, or totem, I do have to mount the image that I want,
but I found that it's "mount -o loop /path/of/image.iso /media", at
least on Fedora 7. Now to play around with finding a way that I can just
pull up a playlist of image files instead of clicking through a tree
list to get to the file I want.