[ale] Recommendations on inexpensive handheld

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Oct 6 02:19:16 EDT 2007

Joshua Kite wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone here could point me to an inexpensive
> wifi-enabled handheld device.  Of course, I'd prefer that it be able to
> run linux, but my most important need is that it can run either Firefox
> or a recent version of Opera.  I want to be able to control the music in
> my house, and the webpage which I'm using ( pitchfork
> <http://pitchfork.remiss.org/> which controls mpd) requires a DOM2
> compliant browser.  I'm only going to use this as a remote, so any other
> applications would probably remain unused or removed.

How about one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800

You may be able to find an N770 for cheap; I think a friend found one
new online for $125 a few months ago.

Here is a list of PDA's that support linux. For some of them without
built-in wifi you may be able to add a CF wifi card.

http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/SupportedHandheldSummary

-Brian