[ale] Recommendations on inexpensive handheld

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 01:58:45 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here could point me to an inexpensive wifi-enabled
handheld device.  Of course, I'd prefer that it be able to run linux, but my
most important need is that it can run either Firefox or a recent version of
Opera.  I want to be able to control the music in my house, and the webpage
which I'm using (pitchfork <http://pitchfork.remiss.org/> which controls
mpd) requires a DOM2 compliant browser.  I'm only going to use this as a
remote, so any other applications would probably remain unused or removed.

In case it matters, I'm using pitchfork as a front end for mpd.  Server is
running Ubuntu Feisty.  The soundcard is a usb wireless transmiter (RCA
Lyra).  I currently have 4 receivers scattered throughout the house and will
probably have 8 installed when all is said and done.  I'm just looking for
an easy way to modify playlists and move from song to song, and this seems
like the easiest solution for a non-programmer like me.  I've considered the
remote route, but I would have to do a lot more work and would have less
information at my fingertips than I could get from handheld.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Josh Kite