[ale] Is this really Ubuntu?

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Oct 4 23:03:40 EDT 2007

On 10/04/2007 09:31:02 PM, Alexander Barton wrote:
> About every three years I replace my home desktop with the latest and
>
> greatest.  I've heard wonderful tings about Ubuntu.  This time around
> though I'd give it a try.  So I installed Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop.
> But...
>
> This has got to be alpha software.  I managed to crash the installer
>
> handful of times just partitioning the drives with the expert mode
> partitioner.  Hint: don't set a partition type to "dont_use". The
> drop-down box for mount points was empty half the time.  Even the
> dialog
> buttons were flaky -- they ignored clicks unless one first moused out
>
> of, then back into the button.  I could go on and on.
>
> Surely I must have downloaded the beta version or something like
> that.
>
> Perhaps this is a Microsoft dirty trick?
>
> So, can anyone recommend another distribution?

Ok. Weird. Ubuntu went onto my laptop and another machine with nary a
hitch. I don't recall a _single_ problem for me.

OTOH, you asked for another distribution. I'm running Fedora Core 6 and
Fedora 7, again with no special problems noted. You might want to
search around for a respin of the Fedora 7 (I've seen echos that say
they exist) to avoid downloading a serious boatload of updates/patches/
fixes/etc.

FWIW, YMMV, and so forth. Your decision, and I make no warentee about
any statements above.