[ale] [OT] External USB drives

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Fri Jul 13 12:26:21 EDT 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007 11:50:01 pm Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> I don't know about other distributions, but Ubuntu has excellent support
> for NTFS partitions by way of FUSE. ?As I understand it, FUSE works on
> OS X, now, too, so NTFS might be an option to use there. ?However, I use
> ext2/ext3 on everything, even drives that I use under Windows. ?I use
> ext2ifs to read/write such drives under Windows.

I just looked at the docs for ext2ifs, and it specifically states that you
CAN'T write to that partition, only READ:

What can EXT2IFS do?

EXT2IFS is a read only driver.  It provides access similar to other read only
media like CDs.  You can view directory listings and read files.  You can not
write files, add files, delete files etc.

You can share your ext filesystems so they can be read over the network.  This
has not been fully tested but I don't know of any reason why it should not
work.

What can't EXT2IFS do?

There are many things which are not yet implemented in EXT2IFS.  Some of
these are just because I haven't got round to them and others are not
required until write support is added:
- Asynchronous IRP completion
- Write anything

--