[ale] [OT] External USB drives

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Jul 13 12:42:24 EDT 2007

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thursday 12 July 2007 11:50:01 pm Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>> I don't know about other distributions, but Ubuntu has excellent support
>> for NTFS partitions by way of FUSE.  As I understand it, FUSE works on
>> OS X, now, too, so NTFS might be an option to use there.  However, I use
>> ext2/ext3 on everything, even drives that I use under Windows.  I use
>> ext2ifs to read/write such drives under Windows.
>
> I just looked at the docs for ext2ifs, and it specifically states that you
> CAN'T write to that partition, only READ:

I don't know where you found that, but it must be woefully out of date.
The first paragraph on http://www.fs-driver.org/ says "What's unique
about this software? It provides Windows NT4.0/2000/XP/2003 with full
access to Linux Ext2 volumes (read access and write access). This may be
useful if you have installed both Windows and Linux as a dual boot
environment on your computer. "

-Brian