[ale] Google Trends-Linux Mint

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Mon Jan 8 10:22:57 EST 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 12:22, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 07:51 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > On Friday 05 January 2007 00:28, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > > It could simply be evidence of people typing "ubuntu" in Google to get
> > > to the Ubuntu web site, using Google as some sort of portable bookmark
> > > device, as well.  It works for many web sites; I know that I have used
> > > Google for that in the past myself, in part because typing "C-k Linux
> > > Mint RET" is faster than typing http://lt.k1011.nutime.de/ in the
> > > browser bar.
> >
> > oh, now you've done it!
> > you made me go look at Linux Mint!!!! I'm not quite sure I understand, is
> > the new version gnome/KDE/supports both?
>
> The new version (B?a) is Ubuntu-based with GNOME as the default desktop.
> It uses the Ubuntu repositories, and you can install KDE the same way as
> you could with Ubuntu, since it is (essentially) the same thing.  The
> only real difference--and the thing that won me over to it--is that the
> preconfiguration that is done with the user interface does some of those
> things that I do every single time I set up a system.  It also fixed one
> problem on my laptop that I couldn't figure out how to fix under Ubuntu
> (granted, due to a lack of time to do so)--getting the GNOME
> NetworkManager applet working properly.
>
> Hopefully, though, there will be an offshoot that includes X.org 7.2 at
> some point after its release.  I need that to fix a pretty major bug in
> the i810 driver.  If I have to, I will build it from source, but I would
> rather not... X has always been a pain to build.
>
> One thing about Mint at the moment is that it seems that the USA mirror
> is down.  PlanetMirror does have it, though, and I found one torrent of
> it, though I do not know how well seeded it is.

well, I was able to get Mint, and I was able to finally get it installed on my
laptop. The first few times it crashed, and also errored out about no root
file system. the no root filesystem was easy, edit the validation.py ( per
google search). the next crash took a little longer, I did add a bug to
launchpad, but figured out the answer myself. It crashed if I did NOT format
the root partition. I was installing over a Kubuntu install with a "/" root
and /home partition. Once I checked "partition" just for  root, it installed
fine. Of course it complained and logged me out at first, since my default
setup was KDE:) once I changed the session type to gnome I was in! I am now
playing around with gnome, I've always been a KDE kinda guy, I got used to
K3B and kmail. So far I setup evolution, but I haven't tried the CD burning
app.
installed nice, works out of the box with wired eth0, but I haven't fooled
with the wireless yet. My Kubuntu install was all hosed up, it would start
with no ethernet, and I had to fumble around to get eth0 working. Anyway,
just ramblings :)

--
Paul Cartwright
registered Linux user #... oh I forget!