[ale] Google Trends-Linux Mint

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:22:00 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 07:51 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Friday 05 January 2007 00:28, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > It could simply be evidence of people typing "ubuntu" in Google to get
> > to the Ubuntu web site, using Google as some sort of portable bookmark
> > device, as well.  It works for many web sites; I know that I have used
> > Google for that in the past myself, in part because typing "C-k Linux
> > Mint RET" is faster than typing http://lt.k1011.nutime.de/ in the
> > browser bar.
>
> oh, now you've done it!
> you made me go look at Linux Mint!!!! I'm not quite sure I understand, is the
> new version gnome/KDE/supports both?

The new version (B?a) is Ubuntu-based with GNOME as the default desktop.
It uses the Ubuntu repositories, and you can install KDE the same way as
you could with Ubuntu, since it is (essentially) the same thing.  The
only real difference--and the thing that won me over to it--is that the
preconfiguration that is done with the user interface does some of those
things that I do every single time I set up a system.  It also fixed one
problem on my laptop that I couldn't figure out how to fix under Ubuntu
(granted, due to a lack of time to do so)--getting the GNOME
NetworkManager applet working properly.

Hopefully, though, there will be an offshoot that includes X.org 7.2 at
some point after its release.  I need that to fix a pretty major bug in
the i810 driver.  If I have to, I will build it from source, but I would
rather not... X has always been a pain to build.

One thing about Mint at the moment is that it seems that the USA mirror
is down.  PlanetMirror does have it, though, and I found one torrent of
it, though I do not know how well seeded it is.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!