[ale] Google Trends-Linux Mint

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 22:04:14 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 10:22 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> well, I was able to get Mint, and I was able to finally get it installed on my
> laptop. The first few times it crashed, and also errored out about no root
> file system. the no root filesystem was easy, edit the validation.py ( per
> google search). the next crash took a little longer, I did add a bug to
> launchpad, but figured out the answer myself. It crashed if I did NOT format
> the root partition. I was installing over a Kubuntu install with a "/" root
> and /home partition. Once I checked "partition" just for  root, it installed
> fine. Of course it complained and logged me out at first, since my default
> setup was KDE:) once I changed the session type to gnome I was in! I am now
> playing around with gnome, I've always been a KDE kinda guy, I got used to
> K3B and kmail. So far I setup evolution, but I haven't tried the CD burning
> app.
> installed nice, works out of the box with wired eth0, but I haven't fooled
> with the wireless yet. My Kubuntu install was all hosed up, it would start
> with no ethernet, and I had to fumble around to get eth0 working. Anyway,
> just ramblings :)

Interesting about the issue with the root partition.  I guess that is an
issue that I wouldn't typically notice since I reformat everything
except for /usr/local and /home when I reinstall systems.

As for KDE, I used to use that, as well.  I stopped, though, at least
until KDE 4 comes out (and I have the time to check it out) because the
things under GNOME work better and seem to support more of the features
that I need (for example, Kontact/KNode don't support SSL NNTP
connections, which is trivial to do myself, but hard to explain to users
who require that functionality, so...)

Also, the CD burning in Nautilus (both for image files and for data and
Music CDs) has been nothing less than fantastic for me.  I kind of like
not having to load up something like K3b just to burn some files.  And
the wireless on my laptop (an Atheros card) works perfectly?it functions
under Ubuntu, but the easy network-changing program doesn't work so well
under Ubuntu's default installation.  I ran into problems with the KDE
solution for that as well, as I recall.

And, power management is wonderful on this system, too.

The only thing that no system has done for me yet is pushed my video
card as hard as I want it pushed.  If I could just get the external VGA
to run at 1920x1440, or even just 1600x1200, but I haven't figured that
out yet.  Perhaps the hardware can't do it, since Windows won't do it on
this machine, either.  But still, having something really roomy would be
nice.  :-)

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!