[ale] Lost nic with new system

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Feb 2 12:45:13 EST 2007

Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>> No, I didn't.  In fact the enable/disable lan option is still not in the
>> bios but it came up enabled after the power cycle.  There are no LAN
>> settings of any kind.  There is a pci plug and play option, but most of
>> the settings there deal with the graphic card except the PCI IDE
>> BusMaster, which is enabled and they recommend not changing it.
>>
>> Jim.
>>
>> Jim.
>> Louis Zamora wrote:
>>

>>> Sounds like a bios setting needs to be tweaked.
>>> Did you have to change any settings after the upgrade?

>>> Jim.

> Have you completely reset the BIOS by taking out the battery and
> shorting the indicated pins?  I'd leave it sit shorted for 5 minutes or
> so to make sure.  Are you sure the BIOS was updated?  Some BIOS can be
> locked.
> Not trying to be a naysayer, but that's why I avoid the low end stuff
> like ECS like the plague.  There is a reason why they are so cheap.

No, I haven't reset the bios.  I don't do that as a general rule.  The
less time I'm under the covers (in the box) the better off I am.  I'm
sure the BIOS was updated since the lan started to work after I did that
AND powered the system off.

If this was a production system then I'd probably get something better,
but it's just an experimental platform to try to learn something about
Virtual Servers.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Jim.