[ale] Lost nic with new system

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 2 08:55:08 EST 2007

Jim wrote:
> No, I didn't.  In fact the enable/disable lan option is still not in the
> bios but it came up enabled after the power cycle.  There are no LAN
> settings of any kind.  There is a pci plug and play option, but most of
> the settings there deal with the graphic card except the PCI IDE
> BusMaster, which is enabled and they recommend not changing it.
>
> Jim.
>
> Jim.
> Louis Zamora wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a bios setting needs to be tweaked.
>> Did you have to change any settings after the upgrade?

Have you completely reset the BIOS by taking out the battery and
shorting the indicated pins?  I'd leave it sit shorted for 5 minutes or
so to make sure.  Are you sure the BIOS was updated?  Some BIOS can be
locked.
Not trying to be a naysayer, but that's why I avoid the low end stuff
like ECS like the plague.  There is a reason why they are so cheap.

Calvin