[ale] Lost nic with new system

Barlow, Jim D jim.d.barlow at intel.com
Sat Feb 3 13:50:41 EST 2007

> Have you completely reset the BIOS by taking out the battery and
> shorting the indicated pins?  I'd leave it sit shorted for 5 minutes
or
> so to make sure.  Are you sure the BIOS was updated?  Some BIOS can be
> locked.
> Not trying to be a naysayer, but that's why I avoid the low end stuff
> like ECS like the plague.  There is a reason why they are so cheap.

> Calvin

Calvin is exactly right in his suggestion to reset the BIOS to factory
after upgrade.   I work with many early test systems that receive
multiple BIOS revisions.  Sometimes there is a legacy setting that
prevents SOME aspects of the board from operating correctly. Resetting
the BIOS to factory defaults after an upgrade resolves a lot of these.
The more complicated the BIOS gets over time in the number of switches
and settings contained in the BIOS (VT, Core enablement, Management,
etc) the more this is happening.

Resetting the BIOS via hardware is the chipset equivalent of rebooting
your PC, as the first run after the reset initializes many NVRAM
settings.

Also, keep in mind that there could be initialization microcode that
executes within modern chipsets after a factory reset.  Chipsets are
sprouting internal logic and processors for management, i/o filtering,
and of course, graphics.

- Jim