[ale] OT - Smart Phone [AT&T]

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Dec 25 23:02:02 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 19:01 -0500, David Tomaschik wrote:
> I'm a current AT&T customer, but I'm looking for a new phone, and would
> like to move into the smartphone market.  I'd like to find something
> that supports bluetooth (PAN for Internet connectivity to my laptop),
> WIFI, and has a full qwerty keyboard.  I'd also like it to have a
> micro-SD slot for memory and video/audio playback capability.  One more
> thing: I'd like it to play well with Linux for internet, file transfer,
> and addressbook/calendar synchronization.  The last bit is that, as a
> college student, I don't have a whole lot to spend on this,
> unfortunately.  Any suggestions of a phone?

The last bit basically blows everything out of the water. The smart
phones are NOT low cost. Even with a multi-year phone plan they are
hundreds of dollars. The service plans are also more expensive because
of the full web access stuff they use.

Get the phone and plan that works for you and skip the "smart phone"
stuff until after school. If you absolutely gotta have Internet on the
go get a laptop and a EVDO cell modem. My USB270 works just fine with
Linux on my cheap laptop. It costs $59/mo for "unlimited" access with
Verizon (the bastards will throttle back the speed after 5GB/mo
transfer).

A basic palm pilot will everything you want except dialing capability. A
palm plus a cell will cost less than a palm Treo.