[ale] Can no longer boot one of my drives

Evan Pitstick bikingnerd at comcast.net
Thu Dec 20 10:24:40 EST 2007

For diagnostic purposes I would start by taking a look at the partition
table and then trying to mount disk 2 partitions in fedora. If that
works try downloading and burning the super GRUB disk. If you can use it
to boot suse then you can narrow it down to your boot loader. If you
know its the boot loader then you can always reinstall the boot loader
in on of the OS's that is coming up. Many times in my experience a drive
not booting is one of the first signs that it is going dead. If you can
mount it I would copy any valuable data to drive 1 first thing. If you
cant mount it and you have valuable information you could try dd_rescue.
This is an excellent set or scripts using dd to recover info. Maybe the
best place to start after thinking about it and writing all of this
might be to use any diag software from the HD manufacture. That would
probably be a job for Vista. Anyways that would be a good place to
start. If you get somewhere with it lets us know what happened.... maybe
we can help some more.