[ale] Speaking of AT&T DSL

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Dec 12 14:28:35 EST 2007

On Wed 2007-12-12 09:47:59 -0500, Calvin Harrigan wrote:

> That's good advice for any ISP.  Don't install their software!!!  If
> you can't just setup DHCP and get net access it's time for a new
> ISP.

To be fair, requiring PPPoE or SLIP or something similar
(standards-based, please!) is a reasonable requirement from an ISP
these days as well.

But yes: don't install the ISP's software!  I once saw a friend's web
browser (IE, natch) completely re-branded as "$ISPNAME explorer" for
years.  Even after he dropped their service (i've mercifully forgotten
the name of the culprit), he was still confronted with their little
ads in the upper-right-hand corner of the browser.  blech.

     --dkg