[ale] Geocaching, Linux, and appropriate GPS

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Tue Dec 11 02:50:56 EST 2007

On 12/11/2007 at 1:54 AM Dow_Hurst wrote:

>Anybody done some geocaching and mixed it up with Linux somehow?  I found a bunch of cool links on Google with just "+linux +geocaching".
>
>Another note:  Is there an all around good GPS available that does street stuff with the voice guiding directions, yet is good for topo maps and geocaching?  That involves hiking, maybe biking and so requires topo map compatibility.  I can always put a unit that is delicate in a case.  I like the fun stuff like altitude tracking, temperature, and so on.  I don't want a MP3 player or camera!   Seems like there are alot of overkill options on a lot of the street units.  What about Garmin versus Magellan?
>
>I just found out about geocaching and had to check out whatever Linux connections there might be.

Woah, Dow, time to poke your head out of the lab once in a while! <grin>

Check out the DeLorme PN-20 at <http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=27626&section=10051&promotion=9313>  where it is on sale for $299.95 (you may have to register to get that price).  The sale ends on 12/14.  No weather, just GPS and Topo.

Or, here's an ad on Craig's list posted on Saturday: <http://medford.craigslist.org/spo/501965075.html>  It's a steal!

You might want to avoid a Garmin brand-new, as it seems they like to nickel-and-dime their customers.

Have fun!
Robert~

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

SIXIT Consulting