[ale] Cisco 2600 DHCP config question

Paul Borghese pborghese at groupstudy.com
Fri Apr 27 00:27:07 EDT 2007

Jim,

There is something called proxy arp that is enabled by default on Cisco
routers and may not show up in a traceroute.

After a client grabs the "wrong" address, ping an IP in the testbed network.
Take a look at the arp table of the client that has pulled the wrong address
and see if the mac address is of the router or the end device.

If you have both the production network and test network going through the
same switch (or two switches that are trunked), I am willing to bet they are
on the same vlan.  So my vote is the switch is setup incorrect.

If you are interested, send me a private e-mail with the router
configuration and I will take a look.  I am Cisco certified with CCIEs in
R&S and Security.

Take care,

Paul Borghese