[ale] Cisco 2600 DHCP config question

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Thu Apr 26 23:30:55 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 23:23 -0400, David Tomaschik wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 22:48 -0400, Tim Meanor wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, the 2600 should be ignoring dhcp requests altogether.  I
> >> admittedly haven't configured a router in years.  I do remember that
> >> ip helper is used to direct dhcp broadcasts to a specific IP address
> >> that is not on the local subnet.  I was thinking that maybe the 2600
> >> had this enabled on its dev network interface.  If you don't get this
> >> figured out, maybe you could post the config (with the names changed
> >> to protect the innocent).
> >>

> > Will do.  It is strange, several folks with more experience are trying
> > to figure it out but coming up with blanks too.
> >
> > -Jim P.
> >
> I know this is unlikely, but can you be certain there is no other
> connection between the networks?  I've seen a similar problem where
> someone had put two networks on the same vlan on a switch.  I guess I'm
> asking: are you certain the 2600 is routing the packets?

No, I'm not 100% certain.  Unfortunately I don't have access to the
switch, which was setup by some well-intended folks during a hurried
weekend IP change over. ;-)

Thanks for the thought, I'll ask someone local to check into that.  What
you suggests does sound possible because once I pull a DHCP address on
to a client in the dev network, traceroutes don't show the router
between the client and hosts in the testbed network.  Hmmmm.

-Jim P.