[ale] Cisco 2600 DHCP config question

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Thu Apr 26 18:28:34 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 17:26 -0400, Tim Meanor wrote:
> You need to use the ip-helper setting on the interface that is on the
> dev network.  The syntax is something like:
> ip-helper <dhcp server>
> where <dhcp server> is the server where you want the router to send
> DHCP broadcasts.  This is set per interface, so you'd set this on the
> router interface on the dev network.

The thing is, there should be no DHCP on the dev network.  Corp network
issues DHCP to clients, clients then directly hit Dev boxes via the dev
network gateway/firewall.  Do I really need to tell the router between
dev and testbed that DHCP comes from the Corp router?  Ideally the 2600
would just not pass broadcasted DHCP responses... remember, these are
two completely different subnets.  Hosts on the dev network that do
request DHCP should not find any responses.

-Jim P.